Saturday, October 16, 2010

Why do we even learn Calculus anyways?


Ever wonder who actually uses calculus after college? As I was studying for my Calculus II exam this week, I began to think about this. I decided to look into it and found that a multitude of jobs do actually use it on a daily basis! These careers include: engineers, physical scientists, life scientists and some computer and mathematical occupations. I found that some common jobs are chemical engineers, electrical engineers, astronauts, mathematicians, medical scientists and physicists.

Here's a neat website that gives descriptions about how each job uses it:

I was glad to see that chemical engineers do use it because this is what I aspire to be. One chemical engineer from that website says,
"I am an Analytical chemist at a biopharmaceutical company. I use it to calculate concentrations for buffers and sample preparation. I use it to calculate the kinetic energy and heat imparted to drug components during formulation to determine the effects of heat inactivation based on different rotational speeds. I use to process data. But most importantly, I use it to when devising investment schemes to make a profit off the money I set aside for a future retirement to have a seven figure 401K and savings/stocks."

image from http://www.boydogcomics.com/2007/07/127_concavity.html

2 comments:

  1. Seven figure salary! Wow--calcus rules!
    Jla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew math could make you that much money?
    I learn something new every time i visit this blog

    ReplyDelete